Thursday, May 5, 2011

A heady time! My history in fashion

This article is about another of my all time favorites, Vivienne Westwood, but talks about "Parachute", the clothing I was wearing in my last post. It was the IT thing in 1984 and I had it. It was a heady time. I went to the New York showrooms of both to do the buying. Parachute had a huge store on Wooster St in Soho. It was so amazing and so exciting to have an appointment with Nicola to do my buying either in New York or Montreal. The nightclub Limelight  that Vivienne frequented was the one I could tell amazing stories about. I had never seen anything like the going's on in that club. It was WILD beyond belief.

This is Vivienne Westwood speaking
 "When I moved to New York City in 1984, I’d just missed the heyday of the Mudd Club and, although CBGB’s was still going strong, we FIT students were strident devotees of Danceteria and Limelight. Music and fashion were transitioning from aggressive punk and New Wave into the more commercial and poppy MTV-ruled era of Prince, Madonna and Boy George. Harry Parnass and Nicola Pelly’s voluminous Parachute line and Stephen Sprouse’s Day-Glo graffiti-inspired looks ruled the day, but the ’80s wouldn’t have been the same without Vivienne Westwood. Westwood and Malcolm McLaren built their reputation with wild punk-inspired styles in the mid-1970s, but she didn’t gain wider recognition until 1985 when the couple and design duo split up."
 This is Vivienne Westwood today.
I think I have a picture of me in Stephen Sprouse. I am going to find it and will post it.
image:marketplace.com

No comments:

Post a Comment