Wednesday, November 6, 2013

SCHOOL DAYS

OK, where was I? Oh yes, school days in my history of fashion. In the 50's all the girls had to wear skirts and dresses to school, if you can imagine! Not school uniforms but just couldn't wear pants.  We were always dressed up for school. Mum was such a fashionista she always had me perfect. Not sure how long I stayed that way at school as I loved recess and playing on swings and playing marbles and baseball. Actually jeans were part of greaser sub culture in the 50's and just starting to become popular among teenagers.
I remember these clothes. I remember this book bag. There were no backpacks yet really. They were invented by Dick Kelty in 1952 but they didn't really become popular until the 70s when hiking became a more mainstream sport.
The dress I have on in first picture was pink cotton and I loved it. The knit dress  I adored as well and can remember it. I still have the little black velvet belt on the other dress, I wasn't aware of any sort of fashion at the time but I was being groomed.
Hair! I was beginning to realize that my curly hair wasn't always what I wanted and in next photo was the beginning of me trying to straighten my hair.















favorite dress
















all dressed up

straightening bangs
















So much more but tired. Will continue tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment